3 Ways To Help A Loved One Who Is In Jail

Posted on: 3 June 2015

There are few things that can be more upsetting than receiving a call and finding out that your loved one is in jail. Although the situation can make you feel as if you are powerless to help your loved one, you should know that there are a few things that you can do. These are three different ways that you can help your loved one who is currently awaiting trial.

1. Find Out About Posting Bond

First of all, you will probably want to work on getting your loved one out of jail if at all possible. Call the jail, and find out if your loved one can get out on bond. If you don't have the money to pay the bond yourself, you can call a bail bondsman to help or can put your home or other property up as collateral. In some cases, you might not be able to get your loved one out of jail, such as if he or she has not been granted bond or if the bond is higher than you will be able to pay, even with the assistance of a bondsman or collateral.

2. Hire a Lawyer

Don't wait until it's too late. It's important to hire an attorney (such as one from Marberry Law Firm, P.C.) to represent your loved one as soon as possible after he or she is in jail. An attorney can help in many ways, such as by asking for a reduction in bond, gathering evidence to help your loved one and appearing for court appearances that your loved one might be brought to. 

3. Be Supportive

One of the most important things that you can do while your loved one is in jail is to be as supportive as possible. Your friend or family member is probably going through a really rough time right now, but you can show your love by sending cards or letters to your loved one. You can also talk to your friend or family member about receiving phone calls and showing up for visitation. You can also generally send a little bit of money to your loved one so that he or she can purchase snacks, toiletries and entertainment items. Each jail has different rules regarding all of these things, but you should be able to get answers to all of your questions if you call the jail and speak to an employee directly.

As you can see, you aren't completely powerless just because your loved one is in jail. If you follow these three tips, you can show your support as well as possible.


Child Support Enforcement Secrets: What You Should Know

If your ex was ordered to pay child support as part of your divorce settlement, you have every reason to expect it to be paid on time. If he or she isn't meeting that obligation in a timely manner, you do have some enforcement options. Instead of struggling to get by or finding yourself fighting with your ex about getting the payments you're entitled to, you should reach out to a child support attorney who can help you take the case back to court. Your ex will have to show just cause for why he or she isn't paying or the courts will order them to catch up. I created this site to share what I've learned about child support enforcement over the years. I hope it helps you to understand your rights and the options available to you.

Latest Posts